Forget about dining out, try this Creamy Lobster Macaroni and Cheese at home. It’s unbelievably easy & creamy! Just a few ingredients, you’ll have a fancy pasta dish.
2020 sure hasn’t started off great. Coronavirus has been spreading and it’s now here in the US. Bryan and I are not panicking, but we’re trying to be prepared, just in case of a shut down.
Other than washing hands many times a day, I also got some extra food, like canned food, fresh meat to freeze, and frozen food. I promise that I’m not hoarding and I do not encourage anyone to do so. Just get a few things here and there, so you and your family have enough to last for a week or so. Hoarding will create shortage, then people who need things the most will not be able to have any. Be responsible and don’t be selfish. We’re in this together.
In times like this, many people are staying home, including Bryan. But it doesn’t have to be a negative experience. Cook something fun with your kids. Watch something new on TV. Work out at home with simple exercises. Bake something different. Chat with friends on the phones or with webcams, like the good old days! It’s up to you and how you can change the perspective.
In my opinion, this lobster mac and cheese fits into the fun category. It’s quick, easy, a little fancy with few ingredients. Since the outbreak of coronavirus in Asia, lobster prices have been going down because they are not being exported to other countries. I got lucky and bought a few lobster tails on sale the other day.
Unlike regular macaroni and cheese, this recipe doesn’t use butter, flour and milk. Instead, it’s replaced with evaporated milk. Evaporated milk has less water content than regular milk, which helps to create a creamier sauce. Also, the pasta is cooked in the same pot with the cheese and evaporated milk, so the starch from the pasta can act as a thickener. This is really one of the creamiest macaroni and cheese I have ever had.
The lobster didn’t require much work either. Just sautéed with butter and then mixed into the mac and cheese. Then top with crunchy Panko topping & fresh chives. It’s savory & satisfying. This will be the easiest fancy macaroni and cheese that you will have ever made!
Stay healthy and hang in there! We’ll get through this. ❤️
Creamy Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
- 15 ounces lobster tails with shells (about 1 cup lobster meat)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces canned evaporated milk
- 3 ounces medium cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 ounces Gruyere (grated)
- 3 tablespoons chive (finely chopped)
- 1½ teaspoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumb)
- For the panko, in a medium pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the panko and cook until nicely toasted, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Lay the lobster tails flat on a chopping board. Use a pair of kitchen shears to cut through shells from the center all the way to the back tail. Flip over and do the same. Carefully remove the meat from the shells. Rinse under water to remove small pieces of shell. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut the meat into ½-inch pieces.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add lobster meat and cook until just no longer translucent, about 2 – 3 minutes. Season with salt lightly. Transfer to a medium bowl and set side.
- In a medium saucepan, add macaroni. Add just enough cold water to cover the pasta. Season with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Cook until the water has been almost absorbed, about 6 minutes. Add evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheese and cook until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add a little of water. If the sauce is too thin, cook a bit longer. Add the lobster (with the juice), mix well. Season with salt. Transfer to serving plates. Serve with panko topping and chives.
- If you can’t find macaroni, use any small pasta you like.
- My choice of cheese is something more mild and easy to melt. You can switch it up to your liking.
Olivia Wilson says
yummm…so delicious Lokness…! This sound so delicious and it looks an awesome….i will definitely make this it weekend night….Thanks for sharing…..!
It’s uber creamy! Enjoy! Hope you like it. ?
Looks so good!
Thank you Christy! It’s so easy to make and rich. I can’t wait to make it again. ?