This Creamy Black Garlic Alfredo Stuffed Pasta takes your pasta dinner to another level! Manicotti pasta was stuffed with chicken and spinach, then top with a rich and umami black garlic Alfredo sauce.
Can you feel it? Fall is here! Crisp air and red leaves. Strangely, fall arrives much earlier than expected. It is chilly enough for me to put on a thin sweater in the morning during a quick grocery trip. I remember at this time last year, Bryan and I went to Disneyland and California Adventure and it was crazy hot that we were soaking wet!
I don’t mind the early fall weather. In fact, I really enjoy it, because it means I can turn on the oven and keep it on for long without sweating. Happy dance! Baking season is officially here. 😀
Today’s recipe is a comforting casserole dish. If you have been following me, you know I made a risotto dish with black garlic not long ago. Bryan and I love the complex flavors of black garlic. Since I have plenty of black garlic, I have been using it in different dishes. This baked pasta dish is a great example of how black garlic can take a simple Alfredo sauce to another level. It added sweetness, caramel taste, and umami flavor to a creamy Alfredo sauce. Incredibly delicious!
Other than the sauce, I added a glove of black garlic into the chicken filling too. Saute some chicken cubes with a little minced black garlic and some spinach. Toss everything with just a squeeze of lemon juice, mozzarella cheese, and a couple tablespoon of that Alfredo sauce. Stuff them inside of the pasta tubes (or any big pasta). Top with sauce and cheeses. Bake until warm through and bubbly. I wish you could smell that when it comes out of the oven. Rich and comforting! Serve the pasta with steamed vegetables or salad. A meal you will enjoy for this fall weather!
Creamy Black Garlic Alfredo Stuffed Pasta
- 5 Manicotti or Cannelloni pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves black garlic (minced)
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for baking
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into ¼-inch cubes)
- 1 clove black garlic (minced)
- 3 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (178˚C). Pick your desired baking dish that can fit the pasta tubes in one layer. Lightly grease the baking dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add ½ tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken cubes and cook until no longer pink and slightly golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Add black garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Taste and add more salt if needed. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and mozzarella cheese. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water (salted) to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse the pasta with water until cool. Drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Stuff the pasta tubes with chicken filling. Place the stuffed pasta in the prepared baking dish.
- To make the sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the black garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour the sauce over the stuffed pasta evenly. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
- You can use leftover cooked chicken or turkey for this recipe.
- If you don’t want to use black garlic, use regular garlic.
- Black garlic can be bought on Melissa's website or in some supermarkets, like Bristol Farms.
Sarah @ Girl Adulting says
Yum! So indulgent, and such a great idea!
Thanks Sarah! Black garlic sure makes Alfredo better. 😉
Ohhhh yes! Crisp fall weather and alllll the pasta… I’m in heaven! This looks so tasty!
Thanks so much Karly! Yes, warm pasta is the comfort food for fall. 😀
OMG, this looks like my dream dinner. You are so inspiring!
Thank you for your kind words. This pasta is very comforting! Hope you will give it a try.
This sounds so delicious! I have to admit I’ve never seen black garlic before, but I will look for it in some different stores. All I need is to find the cannelloni or manicotti pasta in gluten free, and I’ll be set to try it!
You can use lasagna noodles too. Just roll up the noodles and wrap the filling inside. Hopefully you have some luck finding black garlic, they are so delicious and good in many dishes.
Platter Talk says
I have been hearing so much about black garlic lately but have yet to try. Your recipe gives me a reason! Thanks.
Black garlic is amazing! We can’t have enough of them. Give this dish a try and I promise you won’t regret it! 😉
lisa @ garlicandzest says
Where did you find black garlic? I’ve never seen it in the markets.
I got mine online from Melissa’s Produce. I have also seen them at some grocery stores, like Bristol Farms. Hope you can find some soon!
This sounds and looks DELICIOUS! Love everything about it. That Alfredo sauce is calling my name . YUM!
Thanks so much Imma! Glad you like this. It was so rich and delicious! 🙂
Heidy L. McCallum says
Creamy Black Garlic Alfredo Stuffed Pasta sounds amazing. To be realistic you had me at garlic and completely finished me off mentioning Alfredo!
HAHA, thanks Heidy. It was so delicious. We really enjoy it! Hope you will try it.