I don’t cook Chinese food much because I don’t know many of the recipes. My mom gave me some of her old recipe books a few months ago. But, I have only tried this chicken with lemon sauce. The chicken was crispy, and the sauce was very creamy and lemony. It is a very good dish. And, it is definitely easier to make than I would imagine. This recipe probably is the most authentic Chinese food that I have made and posted so far. I am sure you will like this. Enjoy!
Fried Chicken with Lemon Sauce (Adapted from “Chinese Recipes” book by the Hong Kong Government)
2 – 3 servings
– 2 pounds chicken thighs
– 2 eggs
– 3 ½ tablespoons corn starch
– 1 – 2 lemon slices (garnish)
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (plus more for frying)
Marinade for chicken:
– 5 teaspoons soy sauce
– 4 teaspoons sugar
– 4 teaspoons corn starch
– 4 teaspoons Shaoxing wine
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– ground white pepper
– 1 cup water
– 4 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 ½ tablespoons corn starch
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 egg yolk
- Clean and remove bones and skins from the chicken thighs. Cut the thighs into small strips. Transfer the strips into a medium size bowl. Add all the marinade ingredients into the chicken. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the lemon sauce, except the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Right before frying the chicken, add 2 whole eggs to the chicken strips and mix together. Put the corn starch in a plate, and coat the chicken strips.
- In a large pan or wok over medium heat, heat up the vegetable oil. Fry the chicken strips until both sides are golden brown. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate that is covered with paper towels. Then, place the chicken strips in a serving plate.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, heat up 1 tablespoon oil. Add the bowl of lemon sauce. When the sauce is boiling, remove from heat. Stir the sauce and add in the egg yolks at the same time. Pour the sauce over the chicken strips. Top with lemon slices. Serve immediately.
- If the sauce is too thick when cooking, you can add extra water to thin out.
- When adding the egg yolk to the sauce, make sure to stir at the same time. If not, there will be pieces of eggs in the sauce. That will not look nice.