This Smoked Salmon Mini Naan Pizza is my copycat recipe of Spago. But don’t worry, you don’t have to make your own pizza. I used mostly store-bought ingredients. Easy, fancy & elegant appetizer to wow your guests at your dinner parties!
Have you ever heard of the smoked salmon pizza from Spago? A few months ago, Bryan and I had it for the first time. My goodness, it sure lives up to the hype. It’s actually not on the menu, you have to know to order it. But it’s always available.
The salmon was smoked in the house. It was really nice with the cream and fresh hot pizza. We enjoyed every bite of it. Finger licking! That’s why I want to recreate at home. Although I’m using mostly store-bought ingredients, these little pizzas were still very impressive and satisfying. With the holidays coming, they will be an excellent appetizer for any gathering.
First thing is the dill sour cream. Just sour cream, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I made it a couple hours ahead, so the flavors can develop for a bit of time. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
For the pizza part, I like the mini naans from Stonefire. Already made, just reheat in oven. Top with some pre-sauteed onion, bake in the oven for 400˚F for 9 minutes. They are crispy on the bottom and around the edges with slightly soft top, which is the perfect consistency. When they’re out of the oven, working quickly and spread a thin layer of dill sour cream on top.
Next, smoked salmon is quite an important ingredient. I used ones from Santa Barbara Smokehouse that I found in Whole Foods. It was really nice, fatty and flavorful. Put a slice on each naan. Sprinkle with chives.
Last is the salmon roe. Definitely no skipping, because they give extra flavors and texture. They are like little salt burst in your mouth. Spoon some over the pizzas. To make it easier to eat, cut each pizzas into 3 long stripes and serve warm.
So easy to make and they look absolutely fantastic and elegant! Hope you guys will like this one! I’ll be back with a holiday cocktail in December. Happy Thanksgiving!
Smoked Salmon Mini Naan Pizza
- ¼ cup red onion (thinly sliced) (about ¼ medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 4 Stonefire mini naans
- 4 – 5 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- 2 teaspoons chives (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons salmon roe (salmon caviar)
Dill Sour Cream:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dill (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice. Season w/ salt and pepper. Cover and keep in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small skillet over medium low heat, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sauté the onion until started to soften, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the naans on the prepared baking sheet, lightly brush the top with olive oil. Top with sautéed onion. Bake in the oven for 9 minutes.
- Transfer the naans to a chopping board. Spread a thin layer of dill sour cream on top by leaving ½-inch border. Lay smoked salmon over the cream. Sprinkle with chopped chives and spoon the salmon roe on top. Cut each naan into 3 stripes. Serve immediately.
- Dill sour cream can be made a few hours ahead. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Sauteed onion gives a little sweetness to the pizza. But if you prefer raw-ish, you can just skip the sauté part.
- Stonefire mini naan can be found in many supermarkets. You can use their website to find out where you can buy some near you.
- The smoked salmon I got is Santa Barbara Smokehouse Smoked Atlantic Salmon from Whole Foods. It’s fatty and flavorful.
- Salmon roe are way more affordable than caviar. It can be bought from most markets that sell sashimi, like Japanese supermarkets. I did some research, looks like some regular supermarkets may carry it too.
- You can also serve this as lunch or light dinner, about 2 mini naans for each person.