Let’s do a count down of 6 of our 2018 favorite recipes!
What a year it has been! It continued to be full of surprises and chaos in the news world. Unfortunately, most are not happy news, so let’s not rethink them. We are looking forward and hoping for a better 2019.
Personally, Bryan and I had a slow year. Not much happened for the two-third of the year. Bryan was super busy at work most of the time. We didn’t have a chance to travel far. The only big trip we did was Maui in September. We enjoyed the relax atmosphere and good food on the island. We felt refreshed and recharged. We definitely need to travel more. 2019 is going to be a year of change. Although I am not fond of changes, I’m excited to see what it will bring.
For the blog, this year was the 8th blogiversaray. It has been one of the best years. I have gotten good feedback from readers who tried some recipes and enjoyed the food. I got to review 2 fellow food bloggers’ cookbooks. It’s incredible to see people you know to fulfill their dreams. Thank you all for the continuous support! I can’t wait to create and share more delicious recipes with you in 2019.
Ok, let’s start the 2018 Top 6 recipes count down!
6. Purin (Japanese Caramel Custard Pudding) – This is my favorite dessert of the year! Creamy custard with a dark caramel sauce. Light & not overly sweet. I even served this for our Thanksgiving dinner.
5. Black Glutinous Rice and Coconut Milk Dessert Soup – This is a dessert I eat growing up. Very easy to make. Just soak, boil and sweeten! Sweet, little chewy & slightly nutty. Serve hot or cold depends on your liking.
4. Boozy Blueberry Limeade Slushie – Something refreshing & boozy for the summer! Made with all real fruit and no concentrate. Fun & tasty!
3. Pan-Fried Turnip Cake with XO Sauce – This is a dish you can find at many dim sum places. Stir fried sweet turnip cake with crunchy bean sprouts and umami spicy XO sauce. I’m getting hungry just thinking about this!
2. Mendocino Farms Curried Couscous with Roasted Cauliflower – A copycat recipe from Mendocino Farms (a chain restaurant in California). Roasted cauliflower tossed with a bunch of spices, then combined with couscous, mayo & lime juice. Great for picnic or dinner parties!
1. Hong Kong Style Borscht Soup – Woo hoo! A Hong Kong recipe top the chart this year! Unlike traditional borscht soup, Hong Kong version doesn’t include beet and sour cream. It’s tomato base soup made with beef bones and lots of vegetables. Certainly fitting for this time of the year.
My Favorite Recipe of the Year:
Three Cup Chicken – Seared chicken pieces in a savory & umami sauce with fresh Thai basil. Easy to make and excellent with a bowl of steamed white rice. I love that it’s fairly quick to put together but still has lots of flavors. Definitely give this a try!
HAPPY NEW YEAR! See you all in 2019!
Can the Purin recipe be doubled or tripled?
Hi Janiece. Yes, you can! Hope you will like them!