This Tortellini with Sausage and Spinach is easy and quick, yet loaded with flavors. Cheesy tortellini goes perfectly with the creamy tomato sauce, sweet Italian sausage and fresh spinach. A truly satisfying dish!
The weather has been unbelievable HOT in Los Angeles! For the past 2 days, it went beyond 100˚F (37.8˚C) even at the coast, which broke all kind of records. Last week, I was hoping to do some baking and make a soup this week. Those were silly ideas! No way I would NOT turn on the oven in days like that. I can barely stay cool by sitting around. So for dinner, I decided to go with something quick and easy. That way, I don’t have to stand in front of the hot stove for too long.
This tortellini dish is very easy, but still flavorful and comforting. The creamy tomato sauce started by sautéed onion and garlic. Then, add the mild Italian sausage. To make it easier, I separated the sausage into little balls first, which made them look like baby meatballs. But for a faster way, you can just add the sausage into the skillet directly and break them up with a wooden spatula. Cook the sausage until no longer pink. Pour in tomatoes, chicken broth and cream. Let it reduce a good 10-minute for flavor blending. Meanwhile, cook the store-bought tortellini in boiling water. Combine the tortellini with the sauce. And not to forget the spinach! The freshness of the spinach is exactly what was needed to balance the creamy sauce. Since spinach shrinks a lot when cooked, add a little more than you think you want. Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if prefer. Bryan is a cheese addict, so he adds cheese to anything that he can. I personally think the cheese tortellini is cheesy enough and you really don’t need any more. But hey, it’s your choice! Either way, I know you will love this dish. Enjoy! 🙂
Tortellini with Sausage and Spinach
- ½ pound mild/sweet Italian sausages
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 9 - 10 ounces store-bought cheese tortellini
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- ground black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- For the sausages, remove casing, separate them into ½-inch pieces. If prefer, roll them into little balls. Transfer to a plate.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add ½ tablespoon olive oil. Add sausage and cook until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels. Use a paper towel to remove most of the grease in the skillet, except 1/2 tablespoon. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Return sausage to the sauce.
- Add a pinch of salt in the boiling water. Cook the tortellini according to the direction on package. Drain and add the tortellini to the tomato sauce. Toss well. Add spinach and stir to combine. Cook until the spinach is wilted. Transfer to serving plates. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if using. Serve immediately.