This Banana Nutella Bread Pudding is insanely good. It can be made ahead too. Good for breakfast or dessert!
Last night, Bryan and I were catching up on a few episodes of Modern Family. We kept looking at each other and couldn’t stop laughing. In one of the episodes, Mitch was complaining how Cam kept forgetting to turn off the lights. It is one of those moments that you are like, “YUP, this is me!” I nag Bryan about not switching off the lights all the time. Modern Family is one of those shows that will lighten up your day, make you laugh and sometimes, touch your heart.
Like the show, this bread pudding will put a smile on your face and warm your heart. Rich, warm, sweet and chocolatey… This bowl of warm bread pudding and a couple of episodes of Modern Family at the comfort of our home is what I call a perfect night!
To start this bowl of goodness, you first need a loaf of brioche bread. Eggy and sweet brioche is the one for bread pudding. If you can’t find any, use challah or even croissant. I like to toast the bread lightly, so the bread gets dry and able to absorb more liquid. Add the toasted bread in the egg mixture. Give it a good gentle toss. Stir in the banana slices and Nutella. They are ready to go in ramekins and chill in the fridge for 6 hours. When ready to bake, don’t forget to sprinkle with Turbinado sugars. They add a nice crunchy texture to the pudding.
With a scoop of vanilla ice cream, dessert is all set! This bread pudding can also be served as breakfast too. Think about it… There are banana, bread, egg, and Nutella. Doesn’t it sound like breakfast? Ok, probably without the ice cream. But if you are like me, maybe ice cream is totally acceptable for breakfast! It is entirely up to you. 😛 Make the bread pudding the night before and bake them in the morning. With a cup of coffee, your fancy and delicious breakfast is ready!
Banana Nutella Bread Pudding
- 5 slices 1-inch thick brioche bread (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Lightly greased 2 (6-inch) ramekins with vegetable oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla, half and half, sugar and salt. Whisk until combined. Add the bread and gently toss to coat. It is ok if the bread starts to break apart. Stir in the banana slices.
- In a small bowl, add the Nutella to a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until runny. Add to the bread mixture and just toss for a few times. It doesn’t need to be well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared ramekins. Pat down gently. Cover the ramekins with plastic wraps and keep in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Before baking, sprinkle the top evenly with Turbinado sugar. Bake in the oven until the pudding has puffed slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
- If your bread is stale, you can skip the toasting part.
- If you can’t find brioche, use challah or croissant.
- Half and half refers to half milk and half heavy cream.
- You can substitute Nutella with peanut butter.
- Turbinado sugars give the bread pudding some crunchy texture. Do not skip.
- The serving size is generous. If you want, you can do this recipe in 4 smaller ramekins.
Michelle | The Secret Ingredient Is says
Oh my goodness– this sounds ridiculously good. I love bread pudding but rarely ever make it at home- but I think I’m going to need to change that asap so I can get my hands on this banana Nutella one. So good!
Thank you Michelle. It was really GOOD! If you love nutella, this is the one recipe for you. 😉
This pudding is warming, chocolaty comfort food for sure! I embrace the idea of ANYTHING for breakfast if it starts your day off right! 🙂
HAHA! Right? If ice cream is what makes me happy, why not? 😉
I’ve gotta try this. My hubby loves bread pudding but I’ve never made it. This one with banana and nutella would be a sure winner for him. It looks so good and toasting the bread if yours isn’t a little stale is an excellent idea.
Yes, I think toasting makes a difference. Even though my husband wasn’t a huge fan of nutella, he really enjoy this bread pudding. Hope you guys will like it. 🙂
Kathleen | Hapa Nom Nom says
Oh my gosh, I love Modern Family! Craig and I watch it all the time and we also look at each other knowingly at certain familiar parts. Like when Lilly’s doctor backs out of their driveway and hits the trash cans and side-swipes a car. Yeah… I’ve run into the trash cans and I have a few scratches 😉
So bread pudding is one of my very favorite desserts! I think it comes from my mom – it’s her favorite and as a kid, every time we had it, it was a big deal. But I never had it quite like this! This is spectacular! You gotta love anything with Nutella in it 😉
Oh my goodness. Glad the accident was nothing serious! But yea, many scenes in Modern Family is like a reflection of our real lives. That is why it is a great show!
I have only had bread pudding a couple times. This one is definitely my favorite. Tasty but not heavy. And the sweet banana is an excellent addition. Hope you will try it!
Sara | Belly Rumbles says
I love bread and butter pudding, but I’m thinking that this will take its place.
Haven’t heard of bread and butter pudding until now! Learned something new today. 🙂 Let me know if you try it. Have a good day!
Came across your bread and butter pudding recipe and thought I’ll give it a go. The ingredient part that says “half and half” got me puzzled. Can you please tell me what is that half and half of refers to which ingredient?
Hi Janet, half and half means half whole milk and half heavy cream. In the US, you can easily get it from supermarket. It is commonly used for coffee. Hope this helps. Enjoy the bread pudding!
Sara @ Life's Little Sweets says
Nutella! One of my favorite things on this earth! This bread pudding looks amazing!