This Smoked Sausage and Corn Loaded Mashed Potatoes is the BEST mashed potatoes ever! It’s smoky, savory and a little sweet. Either to serve as a side dish or as a main dish, it’s really up to you.
Thanksgiving is coming up so soon, but I still don’t know what is going on with dinner. In the past few years, we cooked dinner at home and enjoyed the night with my sister. Yesterday, Bryan told me that one of our close friends are going to stay in town this year, and he would like to do a potluck dinner party. Even though nothing is set, it is likely going to happen at our place. I am definitely feeling a little bit of a pressure of hosting a Thanksgiving party. And yes, that idea of making a turkey scares me. Oh dear… Good thing is that I still have 2 weeks to figure it out. We will see what is going to turn out.
One thing for sure, I have nailed the side dish! This loaded mashed potatoes dish is something my mom used to make during special occasions. My mom’s cooking style is always creative. She doesn’t stick with the traditional Chinese cooking or recipes. She likes to experiment with different things, especially during Christmas. There wouldn’t be rice and stir fry on the table, instead there were baguette, deviled eggs, chicken wings, turkey meats, loaded mashed potatoes and soda (soda is for special occasion only). It is a unique meal that my sister and I love dearly.
In my mom’s mashed potatoes, she likes to add bacon. Bacon is her favorite. I know bacon is heavenly, but this sausage that I used is just as good. It is smoked, which gave a really nice smoky flavor to the mashed potatoes. I cooked both the sausage and corn until there were slightly charred. Then, I tossed everything into that creamy mashed potatoes. Sprinkled with cheeses and baked until golden brown. It smelled incredible and tasted even better. You get the sweetness of the corn, the smoky sausage and the rich mashed potatoes all in one bite. It was very satisfying! Double or triple the recipe, then it would be the Thanksgiving side dish that is extra special and everyone would love!
Smoked Sausage and Corn Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 5 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 4 ounces smoked sausage (cut into ¼-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 – 1 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Peel and clean the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half. Put them in a medium pot with cold water, and make sure the potatoes are covered by water completely. Season with salt generously. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil, simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 25 – 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C).
- Drain the potatoes, and return them to the pot. Mashed the potatoes with a masher or big fork until there is no lump.
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 40 seconds or until warm.
- Put the butter into the mashed potatoes. Mix together with a spatula. Stir in the garlic. Add 2/3 cup warm milk and stir together. If needed, add more warm milk to reach a consistency that you prefer, but keep in mind that sausage and corn will loosen the mashed potatoes a bit more. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the sausage. Cook until nicely brown, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook until they start to get colors. Transfer the mixture to the mashed potatoes. Mix everything well.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a medium ovenproof casserole or baking dish. Top with cheeses. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- The sausage I used is Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage. It is smokey and salty, which is perfect for this dish. They are easy to find too. You can get them at most supermarkets’ meat fridge.
You most definitely have the Thanksgiving side dish nailed down! Love the smoked sausage…but also, the corn!! Oh my…and how cool is your mom with her creative meals! What great memories. Enjoy your Thanksgiving pot luck. It’ll be great, especially if you whip up one of your signature cocktails. ; )
Haha, thanks Monica! Cocktails are really needed for the party. Yes, my mom loves to try new dishes. I do miss her cooking. 🙂
Oh man, these really are loaded! They look amazing!
Thank you very much Karly! Yes, loaded with the savory smoky sausage and sweet corn! So good!
My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the sides. Turkey is great, but for me it was always about the mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and rolls.These loaded beauties sound like they need a spot on my plate and in my tummy!
Turkey wasn’t my thing either. I have to agree with you like bread rolls and mashed potatoes are my favorite thanksgiving dishes. 🙂 You will really like this! Give them a try.
Kylee @ Kylee Cooks says
Ya had me at “smoked sausage”
Hahaha! Smoked sausage is really the key for this recipe! That smoky flavor takes the dish to another level! 😉
Kylee @ Kylee Cooks says
Lol – I came in here to comment – again. And realized I already had. I’m adding this to my menu, for sure.
Thanks for a great idea!
Erin @ Thanks for Cookin'! says
Hm, you might be mistaken…this looks like a MEAL not a side! 😀 Haha! Oh man my Hubs is going to go nuts for this dish…
HAHA! Yes, this can be a main dish if you want. I usually eat the leftover for next day lunch. 😉
Christine | Vermilion Roots says
I seriously think this recipe is a winner and will be very popular at the holiday table. It has the all the makings of holiday comforts!
Thank you so much Christine! The sausage and corn make a simple mashed potato extra special. Glad you like this. 😉
Claudia | Gourmet Project says
THANK YOU! this sounds perfect for coming festivities!
You are very welcome! Either it is for the holidays or just regular dinner, it is still great. Thanks for stopping by.
Made this today as it was lovely! I ate a portion of it as a dish on its own so went heavy on the sausage hehe. Thanks for sharing!
YEAH! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the dish! I love eating this dish as main dish too! Adding more sausage is no doubt a great idea. 🙂 Thanks for coming back and letting me know. This really makes my day! Have a good one!
Michelle Chavez says
Yummy!!! This would be perfect for Thanksgiving, an easy, simple and delicious side dish! Great pictures btw!
Thanks so much! Yes, a little twist on a regular mashed potatoes! 🙂
Paige @ Where Latin Meets Lagniappe says
These potatoes look amazing! What a perfect Thanksgiving side dish. I love the addition of sausage!
Thanks Paige! The sausage added lots of flavors in the mashed potatoes. Really good! Let me know if you try it.
I love sausage and potatoes, and this looks so good. Your family dinners sound tasty too!
Thank you so much! Hope you like this mashed potatoes as much as I do!
That looks and sounds seriously amazing!
Thank you Valentina! Glad you like it!
Looks amazingly delicious recipe. Thank You for sharing <3