Bryan loves potato salad, and he always asks me to make some for dinner. I am fine with potato salad, but sometimes, I feel that they are a bit boring. This southwestern potato salad is definitely not simple. It had the smokiness from the chipotle sauce, and it was a bit spicy. It is very different and delicious, which fulfilled both Bryan and me. Forget your regular potato salad, and give this recipe a try!
Southwestern Potato Salad (Adapted from Bobby Flay via Foodnetwork.com)
4 – 5 servings
– 8 medium red potatoes (about 1 ½ pound)
– ¾ cup mayonnaise
– ½ medium red onion (thinly sliced)
– ½ large ripe tomato (seeded and diced)
– 1/8 cup chopped cilantro leaves
– 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
– 1 ½ green onions (chopped)
– 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
– 2 – 3 teaspoons canned chipotle sauce (La Costena)
– 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
– dash of cayenne
– ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes in a medium pot with cold water, and make sure the water cover the potatoes completely. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil, simmer and cook until a paring knife poked into the potatoes goes in without resistance, about 15 minutes. Drain and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- In another large bowl, put in the warm potatoes and add as much as mayonnaise mixture as you need. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the salad chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
- The original recipe called for chipotle pepper puree instead of chipotle sauce. I am sure chipotle pepper puree would be better. But it would require blending the canned chipotle pepper in adobe sauce into puree. I am just too lazy to do so.
- The chipotle sauce that I bought is a canned product. You can find that or canned chipotle pepper in the ethnic isle in regular supermarket.
- I don’t eat spicy food, so I only use about 2 teaspoons chipotle sauce and a dash of cayenne. If you like spicy, adjust the spiciness to your own taste.
Leave a Reply