When I go to a Brazilian restaurant, my favorite things are the stroganoff and pao de queijo (cheese bread). I have tried different recipes with those two dishes, and finally, I have found the best ones. They may not taste exactly the same like the restaurants, but I am very happy with the outcome. Today, I will post the stroganoff recipe, and I will post the pao de queijo recipe later this week. For the stroganoff, the most important ingredient is the Nestle Media Crema Table Cream. It is like heavy cream that has a thick consistency. This table cream is processed which is sold in a can. You can find it in normal supermarket in the Mexican aisle. The stroganoff came out very creamy and delicious. The good thing is this recipe doesn’t take too much time and work. Give this a try.
Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff (Adapted from food.com)
4 – 5 servings
– 2 pounds chicken thigh fillets (cut into 1-inch cubes)
– 1 onion (finely chopped)
– ½ lb white mushroom (sliced)
– ¾ cup Media Crema table cream
– ½ cup dry white wine
– 2 cloves garlic (minced)
– 2 tablespoons ketchup
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1 ½ tablespoons dijon mustard
– ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
– ½ teaspoon dry oregano
– 2 tablespoons oil
– ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, garlic, half the onion, salt, nutmeg, oregano and white wine. Marinate for 1 hour in the fridge.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the remaining onion and mushrooms for a few minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the chicken and the marinade to the pan and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste, ketchup and Dijon mustard.
- When the meat is cooked, add the table cream and mix well. Reheat gently without boiling. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over steamed white rice.
- If you really can’t find table cream, you can use sour cream. But the flavors will be very different.
- If the sauce is too thick after adding the table cream, add a little bit water. If the sauce is too thin, add a little bit more table cream.
I’m from Brazil and this is the best stroganoff recipe ever! Don’t tell my mother! Great Job!
Thank you very much! I am glad that you like it. And, I am happy to know that the recipe is authentic enough. 🙂
Another key is using chicken thighs. So tempting to use chicken breasts, but they can get dry and mealy. Resist the temptation. I use thighs for my Indian curry dishes as well (very similar).
Yes, agree. My husband and I like chicken thighs more than chicken breasts more in general. Thighs have more flavors and do not dry out.